Finding the best dental insurance in Florida may not be that easy. You want to compare services, calculate fees and become familiar with the company’s policies. As a client, you need to consider how dental insurance plans work, and what they offer.
And remember: You should always weigh your particular needs and possibilities when choosing the best dental insurance plan for you in Florida.
HOW TO CHOOSE THE BEST DENTAL PLAN IN FLORIDA
Basically, you need to consider your personal circumstances. Your specific needs will lead you to the plan you feel more comfortable with.
Choices are not the same when you are looking for an individual dental insurance plan than when you need a family plan. There are differences between a standalone plan and a plan from your employer.
You will also need to consider if you need a large network of dentists across the country, or if you just need a plan that works well locally.
With all these things to take into consideration, you should always look for a reliable insurance company, and try to buy the plan that best suits your needs.
WHAT ARE THE BEST INSURANCE PLANS IN FLORIDA?
There are many types of dental insurance plans that work well in Florida. These well-known companies offer a wide range of services and benefits.
Here are just some of the most popular insurance companies patients are using here in Florida:
Florida Blue, Cigna, United Healthcare, Delta Dental, Humana, Aetna, Metlife, AARP, Guardian Dental, AFLAC Dental, among many others. These insurance companies provide a wide range of dental plans. Typically, they offer:
HMO, PPO, AND FEE-FOR-SERVICE PLANS
- HMO or DHMO Plans. These Health Managed Organization dental plans provide coverage at some very reduced rates. However, benefits are limited to those providers that work in-network, with a prior referral from a primary care provider.
- PPO plans make the most popular plans today. They allow you to choose an in-network dentist, but you still have the option to visit an out-of-network doctor if you prefer. If you choose an out-of-network office that works with your insurance company, you can get your money reimbursed by filing the claim correctly (a friendly fee-for-service office can do all the paperwork for you). While out of pocket costs might be lower if you go in-network, going out of network gives you more freedom of choice to find the right dentist.
- FEE-FOR-SERVICE PLANS, aka indemnity plans, offer the widest choice of dentists. As with a PPO plan, if you choose an in-network dentist you will pay for a certain amount of the service, and the insurance company will pay the rest.
The basic difference between PPO and Fee-for-Service is that a with a PPO plan you will be reimbursed at a higher amount. With a Fee-for-Service plan, you will probably wind up spending more out of pocket for the dental services you get.
WHAT DO DENTAL INSURANCE PLANS COVER?
Usually, preventative services are fully covered by most dental plans. Some plans cover 100% or 80% of the costs. Preventative services include:
- Tooth sealants
Restorative services including implants, crowns, bridges and other restorative treatments may be covered up to 30%, 40% or 50%, depending on the type of plan you have.
WHY ARE PEOPLE CHOOSING THESE INSURANCE PLANS IN FLORIDA?
The best dental insurance plans in Florida offer benefits that vary according to the type of plan you choose. People choose these companies to reduce out-of-pocket expenses and avoid unexpected costs when some major dental work needs to be done.
Below are some of the most popular plans and their features:
- United Healthcare is best known for the family benefits they offer. You don’t pay deductibles if your family includes more than 3 members.
- Delta Dental offers a vast range of providers across the country (more than 300,000). Delta Dental offers HMO, PPO, and Fee-for-Service plans, according to your budget and particular needs.
- Humana is one of the largest dental insurers in the country, offering plans that combine vision and hearing with dental checkups for special discounts. You can choose individual, family or employee plans . Humana offers HMO, PPO and dental savings plans.
- Metlife offers PPO dental plans for individuals, couples, and families. Plans typically cover preventative services fully. Under Metlife PPO plans, you have the option of visiting either in-network or out-of-network providers. (RECOMMENDED)
- Guardian and Florida Blue (provided by Blue Cross and Blue Shield) both offer PPO and HMO plans. With HMO plans, preventative services are included within the yearly fee but a primary practitioner is in charge of your dental care. PPO plans allow you to choose in-network with lower costs, but you may also opt for an out-of-network dentist if you so choose.
With all the benefits dental insurance might have, keep in mind that most plans cover only a portion of the cost of your dental work. For major treatments, dental plans offer coverage up to a limit of $1500-2000 per year.
IS IT IMPORTANT TO HAVE A DENTAL INSURANCE PLAN?
Most people feel safe if they have a dental insurance plan to cover their basic oral needs. It is advisable to have your teeth and gums duly checked twice a year.
Besides, you need to have your teeth cleaned professionally every six months, too. This is key to avoid accumulating plaque, and to reduce the risks of getting cavities or tooth decay.
Dental plans usually cover these basic or preventative care procedures. Also with a dental plan, you can reduce risks of spending larger amounts of money if you need some major work done in your mouth, like implants, crowns, dentures or any other kind of restorative service. However, remember dental plans have a yearly coverage limit, and that they will cover only a portion of major dental work.
If you want to get more information about dental insurance plans in Florida or dental coverage, feel free to email or call Ocean Breeze Prosthodontics at:
Phone: (561) 404-7360